Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Lord of the Rings...

I work at an eating disorder clinic. Last night and this morning while I was working they happened to rent one of my favorite movies: The Lord of the Rings. I love all three movies, and I'm always in the mood to watch them. I don't know why, maybe it's Frodo and his good looks, or the friendship that he and Samwise Gamgee have, or maybe it's the fight between good and evil and the struggle they face in the process. I'm sure that all of these things contribute to my love for the movies, but this time there was a little extra for me to think about due to my employment. As we watched the final movie in the trilogy, The Return of the King, it was interesting to watch with them and to think about it with regards to addictions; particularly, eating disorders. Just as Smeagel was infatuated and fascinated with his precious ring, many of these women are hypnotized (and I use that word because ED offers no real power or control, only erroneous implications) with the power and possible control that an eating disorder can give/gives them in their chaotic lives and from their traumatic experiences. Everyone is different, of course, which makes it difficult to cite each situation here. Suffice it to say that eating disorders surface as the tip of a large iceberg of pain and sorrow. They are a way to cope with, control, and essentially end one's life in more ways than one.

You see, Smeagel used to be a jolly old guy. He was a hobbit. And hobbits are naturally good natured, but when he found his "precious", it became his addiction...his obsession. He became so obsessed and enamored with the ring that it sucked all the life right out of him over time. Slowly, surely, drastically he changed into a being of his complete opposite nature. He couldn't live without the ring and he even developed another personality as a result of it's influence. Many of the women I work with have experienced similar symptoms. Although the eating disorder was almost certainly not the introduction to this chaos in their lives, it became their obsession just like the ring. It's voice is strong and very influential; some can overcome it's influence, and others feel they are too weak to do so. For most it is the voice that understands them, that allows them temporary relief when their inward suffering is volatile. Yet in the end, ED leaves them and they find themselves back in their sorrow and looking for the next fix. As a comfort, I personally know that this demonic voice can be silenced and overthrown. Although in the movie, Gollum is overtaken by his obsession, Frodo is freed by a few things. At the time that he is fighting Gollum to get the ring, his dearest friends are fighting another war in attempt to distract the evil eye from his and Sam's presence, others are facing death pending upon the destruction of evil; and Sam, his trusty, loyal, true-blue through and through friend is watching, waiting for him to pull through. Who knows what Sam was thinking, but Frodo was a lucky man to have the support of so many who loved and honored him.

I know that many of these women feel alone, and depressed and sorrowful just as Frodo did. And forgive me if this whole blog is a little cheesy, but just as there was hope for the brave little hobbit, there is hope for these great women. There is support, love, friendship, honor, a bright future, change, and so much more. There is learning and growth; hope and healing; and a heart that has been hollowed out by great amounts of sorrow, which can now be filled more abundantly with love and light. As deep as their sorrow and pain has run, is as deep and full (if not more so) that their peace can permeate. And I know that this is true for most anything in life. It doesn't have to be an eating disorder or even any type of serious addiction. It could be sorrow or pain or trials that we experience in our daily lives. The point is that in the end, it can become a blessing to us. And we can make it through it, even if we absolutely don't believe we can and that every odd possible is stacked up against us. Even if we don't want to heal for right now; even if we don't think we are worth making it through; even if we have completely given up on ourselves. THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE. And maybe that is what I like most about these movies; maybe I love the fact that even though it gets so dark and so depressing at times good does always conquer evil in the end.

Elder Scott said: "The challenges you face, the growth experiences you encounter, are intended to be temporary scenes played out on the stage of a life of continuing peace and happiness. Sadness, heartache, and disappointment are events in life. It is not intended that they be the substance of life. I do not minimize how hard some of these events can be. When the lesson you are to learn is very important, trials can extend over a long period of time, but they should not be allowed to become the confining focus of everything you do. Your life can and should be wondrously rewarding. It is your understanding and application of the laws of God that will give your life glorious purpose as you ascend and conquer the difficulties of life. That perspective keeps challenges confined to their proper place--stepping-stones to further growth and attainment."

In summary, I must say that we are stronger than our urges, our insecurities, or addictions, our obsessions, our shortcomings, and our sadness. We are more than all of those things, and yet they are a part of us. The journey of life is just as Elder Scott said "intended to be temporary scenes played out on the stage of a life of continuing peace and happiness". I know that's true. I know that God loves all of His children and in the end all will be made right somehow...I don't know how, but that is why He is in charge. I'm grateful for His ever-present love and the redeeming power of His Son Jesus Christ. I know that each of us is a product of the Divine and has the intrisic ability to feel the power of God's love within us which will then transform us into our true glorious selves.

So thanks, to J.R. Tolken for the lesson that your books and movies have taught me. And even greater, thank God for the gift of His Only Begotten Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment