Sunday, January 9, 2011

What's love got to do with it?

I was talking with a friend tonight about something I learned at church today.  Someone talked about the scripture from the Book of Mormon in 2 Nephi 28:21 where it says:


"And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell."

When they quoted that scripture, the words "carnal security" caught my attention.  I started writing in my journal about what carnal security is and how it feels as opposed to what I will call divine security.  As I began to think about this, I thought about how carnal security is much more fleeting and temporary than divine security.  I thought about how divine security feels peaceful and loving and patient, whereas carnal security feels temporarily satisfying.  Divine security is where we feel the love of God and it envelopes us.  I couldn't help but think about one of my favorite General Conference talks by Joseph B. Wirthlin from October 2007.  He states the following about God's love:

"Love is the beginning, the middle, and the end of the pathway of discipleship. It comforts, counsels, cures, and consoles. It leads us through valleys of darkness and through the veil of death. In the end love leads us to the glory and grandeur of eternal life...True love lasts forever. It is eternally patient and forgiving. It believes, hopes, and endures all things. That is the love our Heavenly Father bears for us. We all yearn to experience love like this. Even when we make mistakes, we hope others will love us in spite of our shortcomings—even if we don’t deserve it.  Oh, it is wonderful to know that our Heavenly Father loves us—even with all our flaws! His love is such that even should we give up on ourselves, He never will.  We see ourselves in terms of yesterday and today. Our Heavenly Father sees us in terms of forever. Although we might settle for less, Heavenly Father won’t, for He sees us as the glorious beings we are capable of becoming.  The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and women for the eternities.  The means of this refinement is our Christlike love. There is no pain it cannot soften, no bitterness it cannot remove, no hatred it cannot alter. The Greek playwright Sophocles wrote: “One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.” The most cherished and sacred moments of our lives are those filled with the spirit of love. The greater the measure of our love, the greater is our joy. In the end, the development of such love is the true measure of success in life."

So, with that, I will declare that more than anything in this life, I want to always feel this Christlike love.  I want to be enveloped in Heavenly Fathers' divine security.  And by doing so, I hope and will trust that I will find myself in a beautiful place in life.  A place where even when there is pain, sadness, or hatred, I can find a way to heal.  A place where it's ok to be human; a place where I feel loved, safe, and secure.

1 comment: