When I was in junior high, my best friend Stephanie and I used to have all sorts of adventures. We would walk all over the place exploring things, meeting new people, and getting soda pop from the mill we lived by. These experiences provided for many good childhood memories.
One thing we used to do together was use the phone to make all sorts of interesting calls. We'd call boys we had crushes on, and remain completely silent and on mute as they answered the phone...confused that there was no one on the other side of the line. Prank calls to random phone numbers were our favorite. "Hello?" "Hello, I'm just wondering...is your refrigerator running?" The response our victim would offer generally proclaimed, "why, yes, of course it's running." "Yes, I see it running down the street right now!" Click! We would hang up. Stephanie taught me that I could dial 112233445566778899 and that it would call the BBC. They hated us. A lot. They would repeatedly ask us who we were and why were were calling them. "Stop!", they would tell us! But we just loved calling them too much. Even if it was torturous for them. It provided hours of enjoyment and excitement to our 13 year old girl minds to think of the next thing to say.
As I've grown older, I have developed a new kind of love for the BBC. The BBC makes great films...from Pride and Prejudice to North and South; Wives and Daughters to Persuasion. My personal favorite, Little Dorrit, is seven and a half hours long. I love these films because they bring to life the accent I have loved for so long. I feel like I never have to worry about anything too illegal, illicit, or immoral happening. And though some people might think they are too slow to watch, that's part of what I like about them. They are slow...like real life. AND...of course I love the romance! Seriously! Mr. Darcy, Mr. Clenham, John Thornley...all very good looking and seriously in love men. A favorite line is "You have bewitched me both body and soul. And I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you again" (Not from the BBC, but from Pride and Prejudice).
So there you have it, the progression of my girlish fascination into a grown womans' adorations. I just hope that you will give the BBC a chance. You might find yourself in the same boat. Although, I think they disconnected the phone number...so you'll have to start somewhere else! Thanks!
Marliett, I found your blog on Facbook, this brought up so many memories those poor souls that answered our phone calls! Hee hee! I love those kind of movies too and books. Look me up when you get back to Utah okay!? Love, Steph
ReplyDelete